Thursday

Furniture in Auction

Recent record prices include $116,500 for a pair of beechwood and leather chairs by Josef Hoffmann that sold on April 17, 2012, and $422,500 for an Aesthetic Movement carved and parcel gilt ash settee by Louis Comfort Tiffany and Samuel Colman that sold in February. Both chairs were auctioned by Doyle New York. Recent record prices include $116,500 for a pair of beechwood and leather chairs by Josef Hoffmann . Hoffmann (1870-1956) was a famous Austrian architect anddesigner and a member of the Wiener Werkstatte group. The carved and gilded Tiffany settee made about 1890 is decorated with peacocks, leaves, vines, and flowers. It is 33 3/8 inches long.
Louis Comfort Tiffany and Samuel Colman aesthetic movement settee


Josef Hoffmann Chairs

Dune

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

~Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear